I promise you won't even miss mashed potatoes after tasting this healthy, low-calorie alternative. Serve as a nutritious side dish alongside meat and veggies or simply just dig your spoon in and enjoy. Traditional mashed potatoes will run you at least 250 calories per cup.
With the same creamy taste and texture as traditional mashed potatoes and only 100 calories per serving, mashed cauliflower is a wonderful alternative that will save you the calories and carbs. This low-calorie recipe can easily be altered for paleo and vegan diets.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated (if following Smart for Life Program either omit cheese or use dairy-free, low-calorie vegan cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh chives, to garnish
1. Steam cauliflower and garlic in a steaming basket until cauliflower is soft (about 6-8 minutes). Let cauliflower cool down after done steaming. This gives the mash better texture.
2. Once cool, add the cauliflower, garlic, parmesan, salt and pepper. Pulse ingredients until all contents are mostly smooth. If you don't have a food processor, you can also put the ingredients into a mixing bowl and use a hand blender. You want a little texture but not too much. Make sure to scrape the sides of the blender and move the cauliflower around to make sure everything gets mixed.
3. Add unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based, non-dairy milk) tablespoon by tablespoon as needed. Don't add too much or it will become soupy. Serve mashed cauliflower hot with fresh chives.