If you're looking for a lovely, seasoned roast chicken for a Sunday meal, this is it. The garlic-herb butter is placed under the skin and drizzled on top of the chicken to guarantee a flavorful and crispy texture. This recipe uses only six ingredients so don't be intimidated because it's super easy.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- 1 (4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons zero-calorie butter substitute, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove the giblets and excess fat from the inside of the chicken. Dry the chicken with paper towels. Season chicken cavity with salt and pepper, to taste. Put the chicken (breast side up) on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Tie together the drumsticks with kitchen twine and set aside.
3. Combine butter substitute, rosemary, parsley, thyme, garlic and lemon zest in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Use your finger to gently loosen the skin from the breast meat. Spread half of the butter-substitute mixture under the skin. Secure skin over butter with wooden picks. Pour remaining half of butter mixture over the chicken; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Put into the oven and roast until the chicken is golden brown and completely cooked, reaching a temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (about 1 hour).
6. Let rest 10-15 minutes, and then serve immediately.