Slow cookers are great for making easy, hearty meals. You can just pop in the ingredients and let the slow cooker do the work. Because the chicken is slow cooked, it stays tender and moist. This Moroccan dish mixes fresh ingredients to create a nutrient-rich meal.
- 8-10 (3 pounds) bone-in chicken thighs (or combination of thighs and drumsticks), skin removed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 medium to large zucchini, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and finely minced or 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans / chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 cup dried, chopped dates
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 4 cups cooked wholewheat couscous or brown rice, to serve (optional)
1. Put the following ingredients into slow cooker: chicken stock, spices, onions, peppers, olives, tomatoes, zucchini, tomato paste, and carrots. Stir the ingredients.
2. Add the chickpeas, dates, chicken, salt and pepper.
3. Cook on high (3-4 hours) or low (6-8 hours), until chicken is tender, and the vegetables are cooked through.
4. Serve on its own or over rice. If you're on the Smart for Life Diet, we suggest you have the stew on its own.
Shop Smart for Life Cookies, Shakes, and Protein Bars Here!