This vegan dish is packed with protein, good carbs, vegetables, flavor, and spice. They're fast and easy to make, which comes-in-handy when you get home from work and you're starving. The ingredients won't break your food budget either. Whether you're vegan or not, you're going to love the flavor of these healthy, unique wraps.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Total Time: 30 Minutes
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, finely diced
- 14-ounce container of extra firm tofu, pressed to remove excess water and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger or 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of chili flakes (optional for those who love spicy food)
- Juice from one small lime (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 10 large lettuce leaves (romaine)
- 1/2 of a cucumber, finely diced
- Low sodium soy sauce or chili sauce (optional, not recommended on Smart for Life Diet)
1 - Place tofu on a plate lined with paper towels and put another layer of paper towels on top of the tofu. Put a heavy pan on top of the paper towel to press the extra water out of the tofu.
2 - Heat vegetable broth in a large skillet. Once heated, add carrots, bell pepper, and red onion. Stir and cook until soft (10-15 minutes).
3 - Add garlic and tofu, then use a potato masher to crumble the tofu.
4 - Add turmeric, cumin, coriander, ginger, chili powder, chili flakes (optional), and lime juice. Stir well, then add salt to taste.
5 - Cook the sofritas mixture until the water has cooked out of the tofu and it has a dry texture (around 15 minutes).
6 - Let cool to slightly warm and spoon into lettuce leaves. Top with fresh cucumber. Squeeze more lime juice on top, if desired.
7 - If you're using low sodium soy sauce or chili sauce, which isn't recommended on the Smart for Life diet, spoon the sauce on top and enjoy.