This is the perfect vegetarian substitute for a traditional roast beef pot roast. With the help of a slow cooker, this vegan and gluten-free recipe could not get any easier. Serve on its own or over egg noodles or rice. With the same savory flavor and rich gravy as a traditional pot roast, how could you go wrong?
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 4 hours
- 1.25 pounds gold potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms (if they are large, cut in half)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions (can substitute with sliced white onions)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cups of vegetable stock, divided
- 1/2 cup dry red or white wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Kosher salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- finely chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
Use slow cooker on HIGH.
In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic, thyme, 2.5 cups vegetable stock, wine, tomato paste, and Worcestershire. Gently toss to combine ingredients.
Cook, on high 3-4 hours (or low 6-8 hours), until carrots and potatoes are soft.
In a separate bowl, combine & whisk the remaining 1/2 cup vegetable stock and cornstarch. Add to slow cooker and gently stir.
Continue to cook for 1-3 minutes, until the sauce thickens and turns more into a gravy.
Serve immediately, garnish with fresh parsley